All of our programs and activities were put on hold in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Our last full year of programing was 2019 which is highlighted in the narrative below and is representative of our programming.
We’re all hoping for a brighter 2021 so stick around!
We volunteer and perform many activities at all levels – from building shelves and bird blinds to major gardening projects and helping with kids crafts and clinics. We provide support during full moon hikes, staff the warming hut, provide trail guides, cook chili, grill hot dogs, write grants, balance the budget, organize volunteers and events, work with community donors and sponsors – everything you can think of to maintain and sustain our group. All the work we do is to support our mission in education and stewardship of the park.
In 2019 we supported many events and activities through the involvement and participation of members, volunteers and park staff. All coming together to support the park. Some of these included:
- Chili Dinner – we cook and serve crock pots full of chili for our annual fundraiser included nature related presentations
- I Love My Park Day – we participate in park assigned projects – trail/park clean up, build/install projects, gardening, etc.
- National Trails Day – trail clean up and new signage
- Easter Bunny and Crafts – create craft project for kids as well as meeting the Easter Bunny
- Applied for multiple grants for Friends projects
- Attend Park Advocacy legislation events
- (8) Kayak Racks – built and funded
- Friends of Moreau Plaques, Patches, Flashlights – fund these projects and sell to support the budget
- Planter Boxes at the Nature Center – fund, build and plant
- Pet Waste Stations – funded this project, installed by park staff
- NatureFest – our showcase annual fundraiser
- Kids Fishing and Ice Fishing Clinics – support, fund, attend clinics, staff warming hut
- Kids Crafts – create, sponsor and assist with helping kids during craft days throughout the year
- Halloween Walk – fund, organize, participate and entertain
- Full Moon Hikes – assist park staff, provide food/beverages
- Docent at the Warming Hut on Weekends
- Summer Expo – staff booth at annual event at Saratoga Springs City Center
- Conservation Field Days – work side by side with park staff
- Learn to Kayak – assist park staff with hands on support
- Learn to Swim – assist as needed
- Compost Bin – fund and fill
- Warming Hut TV, artifacts – fund
- (3) park benches – funded
- Install and maintain weekly (4) Little Free Libraries
- Re-design landscape at the office