A dedicated group of Master Gardener volunteers, Park Staff and Friends of Moreau members continue to support the park this summer. The group formed 4 years ago, meeting a couple times for planning. Lead by Master Gardener (MG) Marcia Martin, the group provided improvements and bi-weekly maintenance to several landscape features around the park. Projects included:
- The rain garden near the Palmertown Pavilion adjacent to the Nature Center. Here they weeded, mulched, relocated and added more plant material, provided regular watering and aeration to help it to flourish on it’s own.
- The two gardens/raised beds in front of the beach house – they weeded, added compost and watered. They tended to the plant species that helps to provide nutritional vegetation for the Nature Center turtle’s diets as well as milkweeds for the monarch butterflies.
- Cultivated and added plant material and compost to the front of the bath houses located near the winter cabins – Loop A
On-going plans for 2021 include:
- more sustainable gardens for the bees,
- repair the plant beds in front of the concession stand;
- educational signage for the many landscapes,
- developing a new pathway from the office cabin to the ticket booth,
- improvements to the compost pile near the Nature Center
- Adding new plant material as the budget allows
All volunteers are welcome to join and help out as you are able. You DO NOT need to be a Master Gardener or a Friend of Moreau – you just need a love for the outdoors and the environment. If you are interested please fill out the form below and someone will get back to you within two days.
Check out the photos from the day:
The mission of the Master Gardener Volunteer Network is to prepare volunteers to be peer educators who build relationships with community audiences to integrate local experience and research based knowledge in planning for and initiating steps to manage gardens, lawns, and landscapes with an emphasis on food security and environmental stewardship. For more information: Cornell Garden Based Learning