I Love My Park Day turned out to be a fantastic day! The weather held, keeping it somewhat cool but humid. Over 100 adults and 40 kids – all age ranges, actively participated and worked very hard throughout the day. It was especially important for the young ones because some of the tasks they took on were new to them. They learned about the park and “doing good” all at the same time! Completed jobs included:
- Playground #1 by beach area
- Playground #2 camp loop
- Potters Point clean up
- Bath house gardens and raised beds
- Rain Garden renovation lead by Master Gardener Marcia Martin
- Park office grounds clean up
- Warming Hut selection of books 3
- Painting benches, fence and handrails at Nature Center front door
- Bench Installations (2)
- Invasive Species Removal working directly with PRISM representative Kristopher Williams
- Lake clean up via Kayak and footpath around lake
- Kayak building with funds granted by PTNY; The racks were assembled and built by Scout Troop 99
- Assembly and installation of (4) Little Free Libraries with funds granted by Stewart’s Holiday Match Program; The libraries were assembled and built by Scout Troop 24
Also joining us for a good portion of the morning, rolling up his sleeves and digging in – NYS Parks Commissioner Erik Kulleseid. Commissioner Kulleseid was appointed this past January to replace outgoing Commissioner Rose Harvey.
Along with the Park Staff, the Friends lead many of the jobs and provided lunch at 1pm. All the work was completed and the sites cleaned up by 3:00pm!
We have so many Friend’s volunteers to thank who without them, the day would not have had the same outcome. Their volunteerism and the support of those who came out for the day truly speaks to the support, respect and love that we all have for our beautiful park.
Please enjoy the photo gallery. This is just a sampling of the large volume of photos we have. We are currently creating a YouTube video that will be published in the next couple days and highlighted under “Featured Stories”. If there are any photos you would like or have any more photos to share, please send them along to email@example.com